Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Sunday, August 21, 2011

The "B" Word

I used to binge. I don't anymore. I have read the blogs of people who really battle this. I have been trying to think of what brought me out of it. I do remember that my binges became less frequent as time passed. There was a longer time between them and they became less severe. I remember a binge would begin with that gut feeling that was not hunger but panic. I remember trying to fight it but once I got that panic feeling it was just a matter of time. Since we are here to help each other, are there any of you who have overcome this? Have you successfully fought off a binge and, if so, how did you do it?

I have been trying to think this post through for a day or two now. I think overall it is having a goal that kept me in the fight. Even though I would have a binge I picked up where I left off and went on with renewed resolve and still with that goal in mind. The years when I would still binge contributed to my present weight. It also contributed to having the right state of mind for me. I have had my weight off twice with Weight Watchers. I even lead some classes. It was part of the battle. Weight Watchers is a great way to start. It is healthy. People learn what a portion looks like. Class concerns the behavior modification segment.

I have read that young girls who have career and life goals are less likely to become unwed mothers. I know I was about 21 before I even had the opportunity to smoke pot. I was in college to become a teacher. That did not fit in with my goals so I wasn't interested. I am not passing judgment here - just saying it didn't fit in for me. I guess binging did not fit in with my goals over time and evidently didn't serve a purpose anymore.

Why do people binge? The reason is emotional, I am sure. Perhaps it is insecurity as weight comes off and people treat us differently so we run to the safety of being fat. Food is our drug of choice. We eat to be numb and not "feel" our emotions. We eat instead of expressing anger. Being fat is safe because not too much is expected of us. I have related this story before but the secretary in our WW class lost an amazing amount of weight and when she reached her goal, they threw a surprise party for her in class to celebrate. It really threw her and she quit WW and gained all her weight back.  The success was too much for her.

I still obviously need to lose weight. At least I am not binging and that will help make reaching my goal weight more attainable. Hopefully some of you will comment and if the comments seem like they would be helpful will link up for your followers and perhaps we can all help those who are troubled by the binge.

4 comments:

  1. For me it was a combo of comforting myself and reacting as a hyperconditioned overeater to hyperpalatable foods. And yes, THE END OF OVEREATING was absolutely pivotal for me in getting a handle on binge-ing. It displayed ME in the form of lab rats. No kidding. What the rats did, was me. How the rats got fat, was me.

    For me, depressive issues contributed. Food does act like a drug--like heroine or coke or whatever. It gives you momentarily "blissing out" which eases depression's darkness (for me and some, not everyone, depends on the food and the brain's response, I suppose.)

    When I went on a lower carb, avoiding fast foods/hyperpalatable foods things, bit by bit, I felt the panicky need for food subside.

    When I hit hyperpalatable foods again, rarely in the last 8 months, I feel the appetite for them rise up again. I get that nervous, edgy, wanna-pig-out feeling.

    Cutting out sugars, cuttind down starches, and staying away from the hyperpalatable triumvirate served at places like McD's, Chili's, TGIF, etc...that did the trick for me. As well as the fluid strategy. When I get that antsy feeling from having had too much starch or a hyperpalatable food, I drink water and coffee until I calm down. It's the distraction strategy..wait it out. :) Anything would do, I suppose, knitting, dancing, singing, walking...I do fluiding. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this big lengthy thing written out and then thought oh well that doesn't count. So I say this instead. I just need to stop hurting self.

    I have to ask, is that what really happened to her. Or was that everyones perception?

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the binging department...for me, I do best to avoid trigger foods and not have them in the house. When I absolutely think I "have to" have a trigger food, it helps if I remember to eat it deliberately, slowly, mindfully (rather than inhaling it).

    In the Weight Watcher department, it IS a good program. I used to "lecture" back when they called it that. When I moved and no longer lectured, I began to fluctuate. The weekly accountability was a HUGE help to me.

    In the yard art department, do you have another blog where you show it? I'd love to see your garden-tour-caliber yard, too.

    Hope your week is fulfilling and successful in all the ways that really matter, Myra.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found myself saying, YES! That's me! in that next to last paragraph. While I hate being overweight, it's my comfort zone. The last success I had- a loss of 83 pounds- didn't last. I gained it all back and then some...people kept saying how good I looked and how much better I must feel. I hated the attention more than being overweight I guess. Anyway, here we go again with a new attitude!

    ReplyDelete