Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Saturday, June 11, 2011

Turn, Turn, Turn

Thought from George Washington Carver:

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender
with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic
with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and strong.
Because someday in your life you will have been all of
these."

A person who can live up to these things truly has mastered being able to stay in the moment and focusing on the person whom he/she is with. They know how to ask the right questions to get a conversation started and understand; they truly understand. The principal at the high school where I taught was a master of this. No matter who he was having a conversation with, that person had his undivided attention. He did not take a phone call; he had perfect eye contact; he truly listened and it didn't matter if it was a teacher, a student, a custodian -- didn't matter.

Saw a thought-provoking quote:  To a child, love is spelled T-I-M-E; I imagine the aged spell it that way as well. Remember that kid in school that everyone picked on? Why is that? Have you ever read those heartbreaking stories about kids committing suicide because of being bullied at school? Being tolerant of the weak; how are we around someone with Down's Syndrome for example? We had a family leave our Church for a time because the wife I think was being criticized. She was the type of person who liked to be in the spotlight. She has amazing musical skills, does all kinds of activities with the youth, and is very creative. She did some kind of program that included a power point presentation of her family. I knew people would think she was showboating. She spent a lot of time on that and it did make a point. She dressed a little too sexy for Church I thought at times. Anyway, we lost a very talented person who contributed a lot because there is something in people that makes them want to bring others down a notch or two.

As we do some necessary self-examination, let's really be brutally honest. Al over at Almost Gastric Bypass has leveled some pretty heavy criticism of this Challenge. I thought about getting defensive and leaving a comment to that effect, but then it occurred to me that he is right. We have started so many times and not finished. I know people have to fall down and get back up a few times but it is still  a behavior that speaks to the resolve and determination of the person. How do we get those people to buckle down? What if it's us? Al is pretty serious about this. We have all been lax about this or we wouldn't be in yet another Challenge. This is my first Challenge. I didn't realize there were challenges all over the place!!

There is a season for everything.  Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 reads:

For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven.
A time to be born and a time to die.
A time to plant and a time to harvest.
A time to kill and a time to heal.
A time to tear down and a time to build up.
A time to cry and a time to laugh.
A time to grieve and a time to dance.
A time to scatter stones and a time to gather stones.
A time to embrace and a time to turn away.
A time to search and a time to quit searching.
A time to keep and a time to throw away.
A time to tear and a time to mend.
A time to be quiet and a time to speak.
A time to love and a time to hate.
A time for war and a time for peace.

How important it is to use our time wisely. How much time do we have left? How will we use that time? We have lived long enough to have some regrets. That time is gone. Let's have the time of our lives; let's choose to be in control and get this weight off.

Ecclesiastes 7:8 reads:  Finishing is better than starting. Patience is better than pride.

4 comments:

  1. After all the talk on various blogs, I went over and checked out Al's last night. He is SO funny. Like all of the crazy political talk radio people (of any political persuasion)...and I can't imagine and anyone doing this challenge will do as well as anyone doing his challenge.

    Here's what I think is important in a weight loss community: how we handle failure. It can't be a pat on the head but it doesn't have to be an iron fist. And I came back here after one totally off plan day. I would have been an Al dropout after that...just too ashamed.

    I'm very glad you all are here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great entry, Myra. Buckling down in our journey is neccessary in order to make it to the finish line. I've heard a lot of talk about Allen and how he does things. I was able to read his blog a few times (without following) though now I see he has his settings so that only follows can read. Fair enough. I'm not sure I agree with his tactics. But tolerance and acceptance abounds and he's done great things. I hope you are able to achieve your goals and I hope they include working on the way you do things, not just the results you get from doing them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where have I been? I haven't heard any of this Al talk. I usually prefer ignorance in these instances anyway...LOL

    ReplyDelete