Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, June 3, 2011

Shock Effect

***The weirder you're going to behave, the more normal you should look.  It works in reverse, too.  When I see a kid with three or four rings in his nose, I know there is absolutely nothing extraordinary about that person.  ~P.J. O'Rourke

 Agree? Disagree?

In ancient Greece, Socrates was reputed to hold knowledge in high esteem. One day an acquaintance met the great philosopher and said, "Do you know what I just heard about your friend?"

"Hold on a minute," Socrates replied. "Before you talk to me about my friend, it might be a good idea to take a moment and filter what you’re going to say. That’s why I call it the triple filter test. The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?"

"Well, no," the man said, "actually I just heard about it and…"

"All right," said Socrates. "So you don’t really know if it’s true or not. Now, let’s try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my friend something good?"

"Umm, no, on the contrary…"

"So," Socrates continued, "you want to tell me something bad about my friend, but you’re not certain it’s true. You may still pass the test though, because there’s one filter left—the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my friend going to be useful to me?"

"No, not really."

"Well," concluded Socrates, "if what you want to tell me is neither true, nor good, nor even useful, why tell it to me at all?"

from: My sister's blog

We should all follow this advice. How many times have we passed on something because it made us feel important? It didn't matter if it was true or not. How many of us have been the victim of such idle talk? Remember words are like spent arrows; they can never be called back.

If you saw a kid with 3 or 4 nose rings, are there any assumptions you would make? I know I would. I have been working on this. There is one blogger who has many tattoos, and I got the impression she regrets it now. She mentioned that this was done during a "season" of her life. She has some amazing accomplishments in the areas of exercise and weight loss. She has had to overcome some issues from her past in order to do these things.

We must treat people not as they are, but as we hope they can be. They will then try to live up to our expectations of them. My grandmother was my hero. You know how grandmothers think you are the smartest, most talented child ever born? I became a better person because I didn't want to disappoint my grandmother. Is there someone in your life you don't want to disappoint?








No comments:

Post a Comment