Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Help Yourself!

Have you ever heard the saying "He helps those who help themselves"?

Have we been doing things that help us or hurt us? If we don't help ourselves who will? WHO CAN?

Have we ever played the victim? Have we ever done the "poor me" act? Sure we have. It's a way to get sympathy. If people feel sorry for us, they will understand that our situation is out of our control won't they? They will help us on our way to the next weight gain by making us feel better about this condition we have. This is why I can't bring myself to call this a disease or a condition. It may be but I don't want that crutch. I can make up my own crutches thank you very much - been doing it for years.

Are we ready to stop making excuses? Are we ready to endure some hunger in order to lose weight? I don't think it's possible to lose weight without experiencing hunger. That's how our bodies tell us they are empty. Now it's time to switch over to the fat stores for energy. That's why fat gets mobilized into the bloodstream; the energy supply on hand has been used up, the hydrochloric acid in the stomach is causing it to contract and it gurgles, and now there is less fat stored because it has been called into the bloodstream for energy. This is a good thing. It is what we are after. It will be OK.

3 comments:

  1. when I was the "man on a mission" on the way down the scale, I used to relish being hungry for exactly the reason you said, it meant fat was being used. As a caveat though, if you are hungry too much, it will slow your metabolism down, so eat small meals so that "metabolism" fire keeps burning the fat. If the body knows it will get food consistently, even if it is a little, it is more prone to use fat stores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read about the starvation response as well but I don't think it kicks in quite as quickly as we would like to think. Waiting for hunger, even a growl, isn't going to slow down our metabolism. I have tried to tell myself I need to eat so that my metabolism won't slow down but it was just me wanting to eat something. There is an ebb and flow to weight loss. We don't have to understand it all. The basics will get us where we want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good, tough post! And while I agree with Shane about real hunger leading to metabolism slowdown, it's a real art learning to distinguish real hunger from emotional hunger. When my daughter (she's 7) says she's still hungry after a couple of snacks I offer her a bowl of carrots and cucumber. And if she says "sure!" I know that she's truly hungry and not just turning to food for stimulation. Now if I could just learn that same lesson...

    ReplyDelete