Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Saturday, June 4, 2011

Blaze a Path

Did you know that activities that we often perform have a path through our brains? When we do something over and over a path is worn and is transmitted via synapses from brain cell to brain cell. There is not a more powerful computer than the human brain.

I taught psychology at the high school level and when this topic came up I would ask the students how many times they referred to their class schedule at the beginning of the year. We would discuss how long it took for the schedule to be memorized and it was no longer necessary to refer to the schedule. A path had been worn in the brain. Those little synapses fired and we got to our classes in order.

Have you ever worn a path in the yard? You went the same way to someplace in the yard and over time the grass was worn away and you could follow that path that you had worn. Is there a path in our brain from emotional upset to eating? That path is like a laser beam at times, is it not? We respond to so many things with walking down that path - no wonder it's so easy to follow.

There is a poem about two paths converging in a woods and the person must decide which path to take. That person has to give up where one path might take him/her in order to follow the other. The person muses over the difference the path chosen can make upon life. What if we gave up the path to overeating and took the one to self-control/health/peacefulness? It could make all the difference in the world.



Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost

1 comment:

  1. That's a great classic poem, made all the more powerful by that LAST line. :)

    I learned about the neural habit paths reading Kessler's book last year. It turned my dieting life around. I mean, I probably already knew, having taken courses in anatomy/physiology, medical science, etc. BUT..it's one thing to read when you're NOT obese and another to read when you're huge and wanna lose weight/change habits. :) Different things really stick.

    The habit pathways thing stuck bigtime.

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete