Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Saturday, May 7, 2011

What Are We Living For?



If you want to identify me, ask me not where I live, or what I like to eat, or how I comb my hair, but ask me what I think I am living for, in detail, and ask me what I think is keeping me from living fully for the thing I want to live for.

Thomas Merton, 1915-1968
Trappist Monk, Author, Poet and Social Activist

So often when we mention another person in conversation we talk about their occupation, their race, some physical quality. What do I think that person is living for? What am I living for? It has always been hard for me to understand why someone would want to commit suicide. I can't understand how someone would get to the place where he/she felt like there was nothing to live for. I think suicide and accidents are the top two reasons for teen-age deaths. 

Aren't we hard on each other? We aren't willing to give the benefit of the doubt and are quick to believe what we hear about another person. The way things get blown out of proportion after a story goes through a few people is astounding. The tongue is a mighty weapon.


Are you a lady? Am I? What is that anyway? I read a story in Reader's Digest about how men used to watch their mouths around women out of respect but now women talk as filthy as men so men don't feel it necessary to watch how they talk around women. Is this an advance for women?
I still like to have a door opened for me. When was the last time a man walked around and opened the car door for you?


World War II was when women began working at men's jobs because the men were away at war and factory workers were needed. How many of you had a stay at home Mom? My Mom didn't start working until I went to college. There were 4 of us kids, I was the oldest. Some women have no choice. Single Moms have it rough. How does the way we live our lives affect others? How were you affected by what you saw or didn't see in the lives of others as you grew up?

How do we choose our mate? Do people enter into marriage with the same attitude that they used to? Why is there so much cohabitation now? I think the number of couples living together now outnumbers those married - or else it is pretty close. Has this improved things? Are children better adjusted? Does the relationship last as long as it would have were the couple married? I read somewhere that the divorce rate is higher among couples who have lived together first. I was listening to the radio while quilting one night and this was the topic. The host said the reason is that expectations change when a couple that has been living together gets married and problems often arise.


This post has been just things popping in my head and then me writing about it. I am not judging anyone's life, just thinking out loud.


What do you remember about the women in your life? Were they ladies? What is a lady to you? If there are any men reading this, do you like women to behave like a lady and what does that mean to you?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/slut-walk-protests-take-america-by-storm-or-something/

2 comments:

  1. A lady never swears, always wears gloves when outside, smokes using a cigarette holder, and never does her own cleaning.

    I've never met one, nor would I want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm... I'm pretty sure that a lady doesn't smoke, with a holder or otherwise. chuckle. Deb

    ReplyDelete