Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, May 27, 2011

Sitting Is Killing You

http://blogs.plos.org/obesitypanacea/2011/05/16/sitting-is-killing-you/

How much of our day do we spend sitting?

Did you know that you burn more calories just standing up rather than sitting down? Your muscles have to work harder to keep your body in a standing position. Same principle for burning more calories sitting than lying down. So - walking - you get the picture. Heavier people burn more calories just walking than a slim person does because they are carrying more weight with them. Neat, huh?

Have you ever known a "fidgety" person? Something has to be moving - bouncing a foot, tapping, swinging a leg, fiddling with something in their hands (they can get on your nerves really :-) They are burning calories though. I can sit in the middle of the biggest mess you ever saw and read a book. You may have to prod me for signs of life. I have to work at being active; it is not a natural state for me.

Dawn over at "I Will Lay Down My Idols" also blogged about this article:
http://laydownmyidols.blogspot.com/2011/05/sitting-is-killing-you.html?showComment=1305729778854#c3172032194824473031

  EXERCISE FOR PEOPLE OVER 50

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side.


With a 5-lb
potato BAG in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, and then relax.

Each day you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.
After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato bags.


Then try 50-lb potato bags and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb potato bag in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute.
(I'm at this level.)


After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each bag.

4 comments:

  1. This is one of my biggest problems! I'd love to lose 30 more pounds, but I've been stuck for nearly a year. I don't eat any more, don't overdo sweets or carbs because they make me sick, but I'm still stuck. I exercise 3-4 days a week. However, I'm a transcriptionist, so the rest of the day is spent sitting. I may exercise for 30-45 minutes, but apparently that doesn't offset 9-10 hours of sitting. Problem is, there's nothing I can do about it. That's how I earn my income, and there's no other way to do it other than sitting. When I spoke to my bariatric surgeon about it, he said the same thing you blogged about - asked if I could do my transcription standing up part of the time, but I can't. I use earphones and a foot pedal, it just can't be done.

    I said all that to say this - you're right, sitting too much is a weight loss killer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I can transcribe standing up. You just need to move the computer and keyboard to the proper height. The foot pedal is easy to do standing and the headphones are attached to the comp, so as long as it's up higher, the headphones should reach. I often take my dictations to my laptop and do a few while standing at my breakfast bar. :-)

    Also, (and I may be reading this wrong) but it sounds like you're doing the same things you have been doing for a year. Maybe try switiching it up some?

    Hope that didn't sound too know-it-all-ish. *shrug* I just calls it likes I sees it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can stand with most of your weight on one foot for 8-10 hours? More power to ya, girl. I can't.

    As for doing the same thing - well, I had gastric bypass, so there are a few things I can't really change. I have to eat protein first, which fills me up, drink lots of water, stuff like that. I've thought about just doing protein shakes for a couple of days a week and see if that gives me a jump start. I've lost what they said I'd lose - they say 60-80% of your excess weight and I've done that, I'd just love to get 30 more pounds off. Even if I don't, though, I'm 100% better than I was and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, back when our parents & grandparents lived, your life was NOT sedentary---hence why they could eat their meat & potatoes in bulk and stay thin. They were in the fields or kitchens all day working. In this day & age, we just can't live like that anymore. Life principle: Move more, eat less.

    Sarah @ Thinfluenced

    ReplyDelete