Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Sunday, May 1, 2011

Finding Joy

When was the last time you were joyful? What caused the joy? Is joy something that comes from the inside or is it dependent on others?

May I become at all times, both now and forever,
A protector for those without protection,
A guide for those who have lost their way,
A ship for those with oceans to cross,
A sanctuary for those in danger,
A lamp for those in the dark,
And a servant to all those in need.
As long as living beings exist,
and suffering afflicts them,
May I too abide to dispel the misery of the world.

Tenzin Gyatso
14th Dalai Lama of Tibet

Helping others keeps us from dwelling on our own problems. What are you doing for others without expecting anything in return? We hear those terms "I don't get mad, I get even"; jokingly my husband used to say "don't let your mouth overload your ass" (he's a construction worker); if I would tell him I was going to kick his butt for him (jokingly again) he would tell me to bring my lunch. Back to my point.

Do you know people who keep track of who does what and feels like if they do something for someone else that something should be gotten in return? We have some friends whose car would not start and he called his uncle over to help. The uncle brought something to spray in the carburetor and got the car started. He charged our friend 25 cents for the spray. These same friends were going mushroom hunting and stopped in at an aunt's store and asked the aunt for a paper bag for the mushrooms; she charged them a nickel for it.  How many times have I heard "it's not fair" from kids or even adults? News flash - life is not fair.

How many of you have a dog? Is that unconditional love or what? Your dog loves you even if you are mean at times or push the dog away or don't want to throw that stupid toy one more time. That dog expects nothing from you. We had a German shepherd who would wait for me to get home and when I opened the car door she would lay her head on my leg. She would lay on the front porch and I could tell when one of the boys or my husband had turned onto the road coming home - she would perk up and get up and start wagging her tail before they were even in sight. Our son is in the Army and we went to the base to visit him. There was a museum there and a whole section was devoted to the working dogs that soldiers had served with. There were heartwarming stories - brings a tear to my eye. I have heard of dogs that would watch kids and grab a diaper and pull a child back from the road.

What if we were like that? What if we were treated that way? We could learn a lot from our dog.

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe that someone would charge for a paper bag! Anyway - you are so right that filling out lives and our children's lives with unconditional love and understanding will make the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fantastic post. I've read it twice now. I do put in extra effort to help and to be the change I'd like to see in the world. I really am loving the way you view life. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind giving to my mil all the help she needs. It's just that I don't want her son, my H, pushing me or hitting me or either of them yelling at me. I don't mind giving, giving, giving just don't be abusive towards me. Make sense?

    Sad to charge for a bag or a spray.

    Now that she's a bit more here than wherever she said sorry she didn't mean to impose on me so much. What? I told her I did what I did out of love and I circled a big heart while I said this and gave her a big hug.

    I guess it's something I have been searching for my whole life.

    ReplyDelete