Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, April 29, 2011

Your Brick Wall

The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something."
~Randy Pausch

Your brick wall will look different from my brick wall. Finish these sentences. Write as much as you need to.

I am ashamed of
I am angry at
I am afraid of
I haven't forgiven
I judge
I feel disdain for
I am responsible for
I feel so pressured about
I am exhausted because
I am burdened by
I am stressed by
My heart is heavy because
It isn't fair that I
I feel I need protection from
I am prideful when
I am selfish when
I get jealous when
I get greedy when
I am lazy when
I feel separate from
I don't feel that I can be honest about
I am better than
I feel not as good as
I feel embarrassed because
I have built this wall so that others won't hate me for being beautiful and successful and seeming to have it all

This is one of the exercises in Marianne Williamson's book.

This would be a good addition to your journal/scrapbook if you are doing one. Doing this exercise will help bring to the surface things that need to be dealt with. Each one of these is a brick in your wall. After you write as much as you can - coming back to it until you have exhausted the topic - you should feel better. Ponder each topic until you can be neutral about it, until you can accept it, and until you learn what you need to learn.

Everybody has a  brick wall. How badly do we want to take each brick and heave it? No one has to see this but you so reflect and perhaps only do one a day. I would like to know if you got anything from doing this. I am not good at sharing my emotions or talking about what's troubling me so this is very therapeutic for people like me. Don't be afraid that someone will find it and read it. Keep it locked up somewhere until it has served its purpose then you can do with it as you please. You can treat it like you would treat something that doesn't serve you anymore and burn it - a symbolic way of destroying your wall.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try this. TODAY! I think I have hit a brick wall. I'll try to remember to check back in with you about this.

    ReplyDelete