Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Sunday, April 3, 2011

What Was I Thinking?

Life does not consist mainly--or even largely--of facts and happenings. It consists mainly of the storm of thoughts that is forever blowing through one's head.--Mark Twain

Have you seen the commercials where someone gets smacked in the head and says "I could have had a V-8!"?

I have wondered sometimes where I left my brain. Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

So, how do we control our thoughts? How we perceive situations determines how we react. Imagine yourself in a room sitting at a desk and someone brings in a snake. What would your reaction be? Picture someone in the light fixture - that would be me. I would probably also need a change of clothes. All that happened was I saw a snake - it hadn't done anything to me and if someone brought it in that person probably had a good hold on it. In fact, snakes have never done anything to me. I have learned to be afraid of them. Did you know that we are born with only two fears? Those two fears are the fear of  falling and the fear of loud noises. All other fears are learned. Our experiences have taught us to be afraid of the dark; I had a student who was afraid of clowns; I had a student who was afraid to get on an escalator.

http://www.allaboutspirituality.org/christian-meditation-faq.htm

This is about prayer and meditating. Can you sit still, relax, and shut out the world? I can tell you it is very difficult. Our minds race. We have thoughts coming and going. Emotions get in the way. There are many sites on meditating. Have you tried it? Were you able to do it? It is hard to even find a quiet place for me to be alone for any amount of time. I even have a difficult time staying focused when I pray. I must work on that. How about you? Let's begin right away. It's important that we do this each day. If we do, we will get better at it and gain more control over our thoughts and our emotions. I think in the morning is best before everything starts happening. It will get us off on the right foot.

"Turn up the silence".

3 comments:

  1. Meditation is a must for me. When I don't do it, I have less patience for the kids, my time management is out the window, I feel totally disorganized and unprepared.

    Perception is reality. The world is a different place through every body's eyes. Having respect for this leads the way to the acceptance and understanding of all the creatures of the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the essence of existential psychology. They believe that you must start therapy with the perception of the client's/patient's reality, rather than force them into believing the "true" one. They say you'll never get anywhere unless you recognize the patient's world first. That always sounded so true to me.

    Maybe you could have discovered the entire field if someone had gotten to it first? Gotten a Nobel in medicine? While I'm joking, I am saying that many of the things you bring to us are quite revolutionary, even though they might just seem to be normal things to you. You're a deep thinker, Myra, and in your words, there's a lot of obvious caring for others. Thank you for being there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evolution - I am glad to hear that you understand the importance of getting "grounded" before blasting off each day. While, as a Christian, I would recommend prayer as meditation, I respect the benefits you and others find in meditation as you practice it.

    FF - I am trying to think of other words for the FF - I gotta tell ya I have a hard time using the work freak with your identification. I have considered fabulous friend, finding freedom, flawless feminist - just not freak. Anyway - I will deal with it. Thank you so much for the kind words and the way you always express your appreciation. You can probably tell that I think everyone has a right to my opinion but it is always done with a heart for helping.

    ReplyDelete