Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Weight Loss Myths/Facts

http://losinghalfmyweight.blogspot.com/2010/11/6-weight-loss-myths-vs-facts.html

This is from Jayme over at "Losing Half My Weight".

Also - to add to what she posts:

We also think that if, for example, one hour of aerobics burns 350 calories we can consume that many calories and come out even. Not so, we would have been burning calories anyway during that hour so the net burn would be the difference. I was kind of bummed to learn that but it does make sense. Exercise is great for endurance, raising our resting metabolic rate through muscle building, and blood sugar control among other things but we can't rely on it as much as we would like to for weight loss.

Also, calories are not created equal. Calories from proteins and fats are metabolized more slowly than calories from carbs. The body's preference is to burn carbs first. Only after the carbs are used will the body turn to proteins and fats. If the diet is low in carbs, the body will get to stored fat more quickly to burn for energy. Keeping insulin levels low will also help and this is done through restricting carbs. The body's signal to store fat is a high level of insulin - the hormone that is released from the pancreas to digest sugars. When we overeat, we overproduce insulin.

There is the South Beach diet which distinguishes between good carbs and bad carbs. The Zone Diet balances the amount of carbs, proteins, and fats. There is plain old calorie counting. Weight Watchers balances things out. Some people respond best to structure and some like a little more freedom.

It is important to lose weight in the manner you will continue to eat even when the weight is gone just adding back some calories each week until you find the point at which you will maintain. I have read the blogs of people who were concerned about weight maintenance. It is certainly a valid concern. The numbers of people who regain what they lost and then some is pretty amazing. We have all done it. Diabetics have to check their blood sugar always, those with high blood pressure will have to keep checking their blood pressure, and we will have to weigh ourselves and, if we need to do something like take insulin, watch salt/caffeine, or watch the diet a little more closely then we will catch it before it becomes a problem again. These three conditions, diabetes, high blood pressure, and weight maintenance all benefit from exercise. They all benefit from eating wisely. They are also interconnected to a great extent.

Jayme also has some wonderful recipes there I am going to try. Eating healthy doesn't have to be boring.

Any thoughts on any of this? What's working for you?

I got this in my email early today and added it at a little before 7 a.m.

Getting back to the Paleo Diet, it is important to note that one of the big differences between it and some other low-carb diets, is that it forbids all grains. To be fair there are other low-carb diets that also forbid grains, but it was La Rue’s observation that gave me pause. By her elimination of all wheat (gluten) products, she physically felt so much better, that she encouraged her 70 year-old mother to try it, who also benefited by improving health, and equally as important her daughter’s mysterious rashes went away.

Over the years in my medical practice, I have observed a number of things regarding wheat products. Although gluten enteropathy (Celiac Disease) is not all that common, many, many people are still wheat sensitive without actually having Celiac Disease. What that means is that although on biopsy they might not have the pathological findings of the disease they still exhibit many negative symptoms, such as bloating, intermittent diarrhea, heartburn, skin rashes etc. Because dosage (how much wheat you ingest on any given day) varies, many of the symptoms are intermittent, which makes it difficult to make the connection.

Because we as human beings do respond dramatically to positive reinforcement, I’d like to make the following suggestion. Many of you who know in their heart of hearts that you could never live without, bread, and all other baked goods forever (except on perhaps rare occasions) and therefore wisely avoid low-carb diets as a means to solving your weight problems might want to do a two week experiment, especially if you are plagued with any of the GI problems mentioned above. Without going on a diet, just try to eliminate all wheat products, and see how you feel.

Why do I suggest this? Because if you derive the positive feedback of feeling physically wonderful without any GI symptoms or skin conditions, etc, then you might truly be able to benefit from the Paleo Diet. Although,
under normal circumstances, you could not conceive of sticking to a diet that forbade almost all grain goods, if every time you ate some, you felt physically uncomfortable, you might find that sticking to the diet will not
be nearly as difficult as you first thought!

Find out if you're wheat sensitive; it may radically change your life!

Until next week,
Dr. Nikki

Found this on my sister's blog:  www.jensgyrations.blogspot.com

http://www.livestrong.com/article/233302-the-best-form-of-exercise-to-lose-weight/?utm_source=ATID&utm_source=obnetwork

9 comments:

  1. Another way to keep insulin in check is to get rid of the sugars. If you are fortunate there are plenty of substitutes. If you can't hack them, like me, xylitol is a nice alternative. It doesn't raise insulin! :D Good articles. - Oh and it's good for your teeth too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thing I did when going lo-carb was eliminate the sugars as much as possible. I then cut way back on breads. I feel so much better and am getting results even though I am not a purist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for such kind words!!! I know that someday I will read back through this blog and think "What was I so scared about?!" but until then, it's just new. And different! So I will get used to it, just like I'm getting used to this new lifestyle. Just wish I weren't so hesitant and could really ENJOY my singlehood! But thanks again! I'll be following!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting the last 2 days. I loved this post - so much excellent information. I try to do mostly low carb, but sugar is my biggest boondoggle. I have borderline type 2 diabetes and have spent a few years sort of ignoring it. So far my numbers have stayed good, but I'm ready to stop keeping my head in the ground about it.

    I love the suggestion of a wheat elimination trial - I do have some of the sx of Celiac though doubt I'm "official" with it. However, I think giving up wheat products for 2 weeks is doable. I may give it a try. In the meantime I'll be following your blog. Glad you're here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just so lucky that my body tolerates carbs so well and I was able to lose so much on a regular diet. However, I think that might be because my carbs tend to be from less-processed, whole wheat products. Since as humans, we've been eating grains/wheat for at least 20,000 years, there must be a lot more of people like me than we think. Still plenty of people have a much better time of it on low carb intake and should stick to that.

    IOW, know your own body, listen to it, and you should do okay. Obese people have to be especially careful about "knowing" their bodies, since they haven't done very well with that. But even they can do it, imo. I trust most people to know what's good for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. RedHead and Leslie - welcome. I invite you to browse the archives. My blog is more topic oriented rather than a diary of sorts so you may find some helpful information there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. FF - it is good to hear from you again. Long time no comment!! Sometimes we know what's good for us but don't do it. Why oh why do we go ahead and eat/drink things that we know are going to make us feel bad or make us gain weight? I which I knew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel better when I cut back on the carbs and get rid of sugars as well. I feel more - alive! :)

    ReplyDelete