Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Monday, April 4, 2011

Making Motivation Last

Zig Ziglar, has a way with words. He said,"When I speak, people will occasionally say...'Zig, I loved your talk, but for me, motivation doesn't last!' I always tell them...bathing doesn't either. That's why I recommend it daily."

Why do we think things have to be fun? I do not consider losing weight or exercising fun. I am not particularly fired up when it's time to clean the toilets or wash windows either. Going to the dentist or shopping for new tires do not bring squeals of joy. I don't turn cartwheels and skip into the hospital for a mammogram. I remember a parent-teacher conference for one of my students who was a little turd. The student, his parents, his teachers, and our principal were in the conference room. His father said to us that we should make school  fun. OK - get right on that. I told him that I was sure teachers included some fun things when appropriate but some things just had to be learned; some things just had to be done.

I made good grades in school. The reason I studied was because I wanted good grades not because I loved studying.  The end justified the means in this case. That was what I had to do to get good grades. Same for weight loss. We want to weigh whatever our healthy weight is for us. We exercise and eat in such a way as to achieve that weight not because we love exercising and eating less but because we want that number to show up on the scale. Our means will get us to our ends - our ends will reflect what our means were. What end will the means you are using today achieve in the end? I'm confusing myself - - -

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst, for they are sticking to their diets.  :-)     Git er done!!

4 comments:

  1. Gram was always telling me to find joy in all I do, even if it was cleaning the toilets. She's right and it's not always easy to do, but can be done. Merry Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was another of your deep posts which inspire thinking. Thinking is hard, too, especially when we don't want to do it. You're right, too, that a good goal requires work. There's just no easy work. And if we're honest with ourselves, even with hard work, we won't always succeed, so we'd better learn to appreciate the journey itself.

    Thanks, Myra. You've done it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen sister! This is how I feel. I would much rather NOT workout but just do it for the results. It's like with everything you just said - Sometimes you just have to suck it up and do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I assume by Gram you mean your grandmother and there's a special place in my heart for grandmothers. My dad's mom was the heart of goodness. I can't even describe to you that gentle, peaceful woman that didn't care if I was fat. She just loved me. I always tear up writing about these things - the words are getting blurry.

    FF - Each day is another chance to get it right. We must do what is best not necessarily what is the easiest or most appealing.

    Need to Get ME Back - preach it girl!! We are going to get this right whether we want to or not!

    ReplyDelete