Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Sunday, April 10, 2011

Kid at Heart

I am still every age that I have been. Because I was once a child, I am always a child. Because I was once a searching adolescent, given to moods and ecstasies, these are still part of me, and always will be… This does not mean that I ought to be trapped or enclosed in any of these ages…the delayed adolescent, the childish adult, but that they are in me to be drawn on; to forget is a form of suicide… Far too many people misunderstand what putting away childish things means, and think that forgetting what it is like to think and feel and touch and smell and taste and see and hear like a three-year-old or a thirteen-year-old or a twenty-three-year-old means being grownup. When I’m with these people I, like the kids, feel that if this is what it means to be a grown-up, then I don’t ever want to be one. Instead of which, if I can retain a child’s awareness and joy, and be fifty-one, then I will really learn what it means to be grownup.

{Madeleine Engle}

I used to teach school. I would sometimes talk about what happens to that excitement that children have in school. I have a niece who when little was mad because school was out on Labor Day not too long after school had started. She loved school and wanted to go. There were kids in high school who had fun no matter where they were. They were in all the activities and sports - enjoyed it all. Then there were some who dreaded school and hated every minute of it. Staying in the moment and finding the good doesn't mean that every day is all sunshine and roses. It does mean that we deal with it and move on.

Who do you know who always seems happy, optimistic, and full of fun? The glass half full rather than half empty? They can always find something good to say. If someone is being run down or gossiped about, they try to find something positive to say. How many times have I regretted believing something negative about a person only to find out later that what was said was exaggerated or untrue?

As the above says, our past is still with us. Those of us who have had difficult childhoods or who have made mistakes that we regret carry that too but are we now "stuck" or using it to explain present behavior? It's not so easy to shake off emotional baggage is it?  Those things can cripple our attempts at relationships that we would like to work. They can haunt us. What can be done?

We probably all know someone who has turned to drugs or alcohol. Those things will just add another problem - like turning to food. As a Christian, I am going tell you to turn to Jesus Christ; he will carry your burden. "Come unto me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest". Matthew 11:28. Email me with any concerns you have or any discussion you need at myrabaldwin@netzero.net - I know I have to walk a fine line here. I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable but that's part of the recovery process, isn't it? We WANT to find a way - that's what we are looking for. I know I can be playing tennis against a blanket but maybe someone reading this is ready for the message. I've said it and we will leave it at that. Read Sarah's post from yesterday at  www.theweatheredword.blogspot.com - she has spent days at the hospital with her son and only child, Cole, who is very ill with leukemia.

OK - that was the shortcut.

I have found the blogs of many people who seem to really want to dig into the reasons and causes of this emotional struggle we have with food. There are blogs from people who show their daily food intake and report their exercising and talk about what life is for them. There are blogs from people who have a lot of turmoil in their lives. There are blogs from people who have had surgery. Some seem to be serious and some are still on the roller coaster. Their blog is part of their therapy. It's all good. I have really connected with some who follow my blog and with those whose blogs I follow. I am sure all of you have done the same. I am going to have to limit myself on blogging - any of you find you are having trouble not checking every hour or so?

There are groups to join for support as well. Weight Watchers, Overeaters Anonymous, TOPS (take off pounds sensibly), Weigh Down Workshop has online classes - those are the ones I know about, I am sure there are probably more. It can be a lonely trip if we don't have support from others.

This quote I began with talks about grown-ups. What's that?






2 comments:

  1. I like the "playing tennis against a blanket" imagery (that's a new one to me)!

    Good post, Myra. I "get it". And yes, I do have to revisit my blogging habits FREQUENTLY. In fact, I just wrote about that in my lifeandgodliness blog yesterday! "Focus" is the title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adolescence can be very tough. I always compliment or point out when one of my students maintains an even keel through the storms and bad weather it brings to some of them. One just last week came in, smiling as usual. I pulled aside and said D, I know life is rough for you right now (his father is an alcoholic and his mother died three weeks ago. She was his only protection.), but you always bring joy to me and everyone around you. You have tremendous strength. If you ever--EVER--need help, come to me. You can also go to the counselors here. We'll help--you have my word.

    A big smile broke over his face. "Thank you, Miss Food Freak. That's a big compliment. I try my best." I said, D, your best is brilliant.

    I love that kid. He has a horrible struggle, and will need to work through it at some point. He's the real father to his baby sister. Such burdens should never be placed on a child's shoulders. School is an escape for him--an escape from horror.

    He's a great kid.

    ReplyDelete