Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Thursday, April 28, 2011

I'll Show You

"If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."  

Vincent Van Gogh
Dutch Post-Impressionist Painter



Here is a video of the progress of a woman who lost an amazing amount of weight. It is very inspiring.



http://266-twosixtysix.blogspot.com/2010/08/anniversary-presentation.html

Who did you talk to the most yesterday? Was it a family member? a friend? a co-worker? No, it was YOU.

Is your voice telling you that you cannot paint? or lose weight? or run a mile?

If someone tells you that you cannot do something do you think, "Well, I'll show you"? Or do you agree with them or get deflated. Chances are that the person who tells us we can't do something is  that person in the mirror.


I had an interesting email from a person upon whose blog I commented. She said it was only one of the two she had ever deleted since she began blogging. My tone was not suitable for her readers. She said she could not stay on an eating plan. She had several reasons why the weight just wasn't coming off. She has a Christian sub-heading and seems to be a very nice person. Since she is a Christian I did not write as I would to someone who is not a Christian or who I am not sure about.


I told her that "can't" usually means "won't" and mentioned that gluttony is a sin. Food has become an idol and according to Ephesians 5:5 idolaters will not enter Heaven. I told her of my aunt who quit smoking because she felt like it hurt her witness. Would the obesity of a Christian hurt that person's witness? Remember the witness to the lost who might look upon obesity not as a Christian would. I told her about how I think Christians will say things like "God looks upon the heart" or "God loves me anyway" or "God doesn't care how I look" as a way to excuse being disobedient in the area of food and eating. I include myself in all of this. I certainly have done all these things and am guilty of the sin of gluttony.


You know what? It didn't bother me. In the past if I perceived that I was being criticized or that something I did or said made someone angry or upset I would take all the blame and feel like I had done something wrong. I would dwell on it. I will think about it and wonder if I could have chosen different words but I won't change the message in what I said. One Sunday in Church our minister said that there are two reasons people do not come to Christ. One is because they have never met a Christian, and the other is because they have. I want to be the Christian who is the kind of witness that will make others want to do the same.


I have to get back to painting now.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Myra, my name is Carla. I've not commented before (at least I don't remember commenting), but I have been reading along. I just wanted to write and tell you I so enjoy reading your posts. They are so full of wisdom and give me a lot to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Myra. I think too often we (Christians) excuse ourselves just as you said! In the end, I'm not living to please myself or to please others - but to please Him! And He calls me to deal with temptation and sin in my life and gives me the ability and power to do it!

    I'm going back to painting myself :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that "can't" usually means "won't". Theres so much we think we cant do, but its all just mental.

    Also I love the "I'll show you" mentality! Even if it us talking to our inner selves.

    ReplyDelete