Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, April 8, 2011

Feel Like Giving Up?

"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place" ~Unknown~

Throwing in the towel, raising the white flag, tapping out. What does it take for us to admit defeat? How stubborn are we when it comes to getting what we want?

When we start out we are all fired up. This time it's for real. Get outta' my way, I'm comin' through. How long does it last? Maybe two weeks? What happened? You mean we didn't lose 20 pounds in two weeks? But I'm hungry. Everybody but me gets to eat a whole pizza. This little girl wants McDonald's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ8mAQPSB1E&feature=related

stubborn - refusing to move or change one's opinion; obstinate

What topic will you debate with passion? There are the old standards of abortion, capital punishment, gun control, stem cell research, euthanasia, same sex marriage - does just reading this list get your hackles up anywhere? Of course.What if we could get that passionate about being healthy?

How about this list? Exercise, planning, drinking water, calorie counting, weighing in. Do I hear the night sounds of crickets? Yes, I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRTCE0Vo7LA&feature=related

When was the last time you got excited about the food pyramid? I refer you back to "Making Motivation Last" a few days ago.

If we give up, then what?
"Every temptation is an opportunity to do good. ...Integrity is built by defeating the temptation to be dishonest; humility grows when we refuse to be prideful; and endurance develops every time you reject the temptation to give up." -Rick Warren: The Purpose Driven Life

5 comments:

  1. Myra, Your words are SO inspiring. I don't always comment, but I read! If we could just get THIS one nailed down, we'd be on the road to health! (I like the Rick Warren quote, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, an excellent post, and one I needed to hear in support. The thing that's been bothering me is one of moral passion, and that's resulted in my co-worker's not speaking to me. He wanted to do something which I considered to be deceptive, and thus immoral. I insisted I wouldn't take part in it in any way. It would have saved us $139 out of $36,000!

    I told him flat out that if he'd sell his honor for $139, he wasn't even a tenth of the man I thought he was. That may have been harsh, but it's how I felt. It's a long story afterward, but he tried to get even, and I stopped that dead. We're going my way on the situation, so he's stopped speaking to me. We used to be friends, not just co-workers. Or so I thought.

    I needed to read this today, because I needed support for my insistence on this. Was I being selfish by not moving an inch toward his desire? I felt, and still feel, no. What you wrote reinforces that. I now feel secure in my decision. Thanks, Myra, for making me feel good about this. I won't doubt myself again about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca - I am so glad you read my blog and when you comment, it is great. Thank you for saying what you did. I appreciate it.

    FF - once again yourself :-) You always say the nicest things. It makes me feel good that what I write helps you with your life and the decisions you make. That trite old expression "Honesty is the best policy" is so very true. You would have lost a lot more by going along with that which compromises your moral values. You did that co-worker a favor which he may or may not realize very soon and may not admit it if he does come to see that what you did was the right thing to do. Perhaps in time the relationship will mend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have felt, (although not acted) like that little girl on occasion when I wanted some food that I knew wasn't good for me too...lol.
    In case you didnt make it back to my blog I just wanted to say thanks for the words of support. I know some wonder why I have been writing about all that ugly stuff from the past, today I tried to explain.
    I look forward to catching up with your blog from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brendalyn - I know you are confused and hurting right now. Blogging is a great release. I am ready to help you as much as I can through support and advice.

    ReplyDelete