Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, April 22, 2011

The Choice is Yours

Think about this for a moment...one choice, just one, can change your life forever. Simply put, your life today is what your choices have made it, but with new choices, you can change directions this very moment. For me, that idea alone is highly motivational because it offers tremendous hope, regardless of circumstances, for a better tomorrow.
Your life-changing choice may be to switch careers, to leave an abusive relationship, to go back to school, to stop drinking, to adopt a child, to start a business, to manage your weight, to start a charity...to name a few. If you have the courage to do so, you could make any one of those choices, or others, today. And you would change your life.
Sometimes it's a different kind of choice. It can be to not quit, to not give up in the face of adversity. We've all been there.
 From: Simple Truths
Remember that wise English teacher I referred to a few posts ago? He also told me once that he thought every person, at one time or another, makes a choice whether to go really bad or not as a youth. Can you think of a time during your teens when you had the choice of going down the wrong path big time? I can. Those kinds of big choices can really change a life. That choice can make all the difference in the world - in our world. What was in the back of my mind or your mind that kept you or me from really messing up? Remember I told you about my dad a while back. That was in the back of my mind (certain death :-). My dad was not a religious man but he was very honest and moral. When mad, he could turn the air blue with his language. He was shooting at our cows once because they had gotten out for the third time and he absolutely lost it. Anyway - He worked hard all his life. Quitting school was not a discussable topic at our house - if we were 35 when we graduated from high school then so be it. Then there was Mom. I didn't want to hurt her feelings or make her cry. I've told you about my hero, my grandmother. What if she found out and was disappointed in me?

All of us do not have people in our lives that have been that influence for doing the right thing. In fact, many have had people in their lives that made it difficult to amount to anything and those people are part of the baggage lugged around. It really doesn't serve us to find out whose to blame or stew about all the "if only" things. It is what it is. We must let it go; we can't hide behind it or use it as an excuse. Let go of the log.

Did you notice my weight loss ticker? I am going to start going public with my weight loss progress as so many of you do. I weigh on Monday and Thursday. My next goal is pictures. I don't have the camera for this. My son has one but he is in Wisconsin for a year with his camera (Army). My sister has one so I might drop in on her. I'll figure out something.

I am also going to tell you about what I am reading. Right now I am reading Life Without Ed by Jenni Schaefer. This is about a girl who beat her eating disorder (Ed). Here is one of my underlinings -

This may seem strange, but I am not going to try to explain eating disorders in this book. When I first entered into recovery, I made the mistake of believing that I could "think" my eating disorder away.  I read every book on the subject. This book is about letting go, falling down and getting back up again, and realizing that you are not alone. The reality is that between five and ten million women in the United States currently suffer from eating disorders.

Jenni treated Ed like a person to be argued with and disobeyed. I recommend it and will be reviewing more of it every few days (depending on how much reading I do). 

Has there been someone in your life that helped to keep you on the right track or at least not doing too much damage to your future? Was there someone who has made it difficult to be at peace with food and eating? Jenni had a chair in her therapy sessions that represented Ed and she talked to Ed as if there was a person named Ed in that chair that represented her eating disorder. She had conversations with Ed and eventually threw him out of her life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment