Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What Do You Think?

Gary Taubes Author of Why We Get Fat Versus Dr. Oz

If you saw the Dr. Oz Show on March 7th, then you saw the interview with Gary Taubes. There was a bit
of fireworks as they argued about who was right in the world of dieting. They both agreed to disagree.  What was particularly interesting were the results of a poll on the Diet Blog of Oz versus Taube. Of the 1371 votes that were cast at the time of this writing, only 259 were for Dr. Oz.  One thousand and nine votes went to Taubes, while the remaining 77 were neutral.

Taubes' views, for those of you who are unfamiliar with his two books, Good Calories, Bad Calories, and
Why We Get Fat are basically reincarnations of what Atkins proposed all those many years ago—
it is not fat that makes us fat, but carbohydrates.

When The Atkins Diet first came out, the medical community was up in arms saying how unhealthy it
was eating all those horrible saturated fats, even though time after time it was shown that on a very
low carb high protein diet, blood cholesterol levels were indeed not elevated. That aside, I thought it
was very interesting that Taubes refuses to have his cholesterol checked. His rationale is that the results
of those tests are meaningless. His other unspoken concern is, of course, the recent release of his new
book and the last thing he would want to do is to throw a wrench in the works by perhaps having a
cholesterol measurement that’s too high.

So who’s right and who’s wrong, Dr. Oz or Gary Taubes? I believe emphatically that they are both right. Here’s the problem. There is absolutely no doubt that it is really so much easier to lose weight on a very low carb high protein diet. It has been documented over and over again that there is a significant metabolic advantage in avoiding most carbohydrates. I would also agree that there is every likelihood that if you seriously stick to Taubes' diet that it will not raise your serum cholesterol. But you see that is
where the problem lies…if you stick to the diet.

Human nature being what it is leans towards cheating. And the more you cheat on this diet, the more of those very bad fat molecules you will absorb sending your cholesterol sky high. Also, one must take into account that without most fruits and vegetables in the diet you are not eating sufficient antioxidants and that puts you at greater risk for disease.

Dr. Oz takes a balanced approach. He is a firm believer in healthy eating and getting exercise. He
promotes eating complex carbs, limited healthy fats, moderate protein, and encourages people to get
moving. Taubes doesn’t feel that exercise is necessary to lose the weight.

Gosh, I wish that were true!

Because most people are not really willing to give up most carbs for the rest of their lives, Taubes' diet
is a bit scary, one because it encourages yo-yo dieting and two it could encourage heart disease. On the other hand, it could be the perfect solution for some people. That is why Solving Your Weight Loss Puzzle exists. Not every solution is right for everyone and we each need to find our own solution. I want to educate people to understand the pros and cons of various approaches so that they can determine what is going to work for them.

Dr. Oz’s approach is more difficult on the one hand and a lot easier on the other.  Why do I say that?
Calorie restriction is not so difficult on a high protein diet, because when you are constantly in ketosis you don’t get very hungry so you naturally eat less and equally as important, you can eat more and still lose weight.

When you eat in a more balanced way as Dr. Oz suggests, you need to be more cognizant of your caloric intake. On the other hand when you eat in a more balanced way it is a lot easier to fit “cheating” into your schedule without bearing the significant consequences that you will on Taubes' diet.

So why should I be surprised that so many more people think that Taubes’ diet approach is the right
approach and not the one espoused by Dr. Oz? I’m actually not surprised at all. All over the diet blogs
are numerous comments by avid low carb supporters. It’s very hard to write excitedly and enthusiastically
about a balanced approach; it just doesn’t make for a very interesting read. Dr. Oz’ approach is the approach of the silent majority not the noisy and vociferous minority. Don’t get me wrong. I really am for whatever works. Taubes’ theories are right, but so are Dr. Oz’, it’s the behaviors of people themselves that make any particular diet right or wrong.


Till next week,
Dr Nikki

WeightLossTipsMagazine.com LLC, 792 Thunder Hill Dr, OFallon MO, 63368© 2011 All rights reserved

I read on someone's blog about the author thinking about trying Weight Watchers and seeing if that worked for her. RED FLAG. What's wrong with this picture?

4 comments:

  1. "Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." ~~ Yoda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went WW for a bit, but so much of it rubbed me the wrong way from a nutritional stand point. Especially all the high processed, high sugared garbage they were pushing (selling) out the door. So I left it. I had a hard time sitting in on meetings with the leader speaking to the crowd as if they were a bunch of ignorant consumers and had no clue what good nutrition was. Maybe some of them were that ignorant. Often times though, I found myself arguing back quietly. I wish I had been more vocal. Recently I met up with one of their recruited pushers who went on a WW is the way speil with me. She wouldn't let me have a word in edgewise. She told me I could eat a whole watermelon everyday and there would be no points and no negative effects nutritionally for doing so...right. That said there is one thing nice about WW and that is the friendly support you recieve from fellow members. That is if you fit in with them and/or they are not just a bunch of enablers.

    Okay off of my WW rant. Check out Pam McDonald's book The Perfect Gene Diet for a good look into cholesterol. Somewhere between Oz, Taubes, and a few others there is something worthy to be learned. I liked her book and thought it provided interesting insight that doesn't seem to be covered in some other 'diet' books. I'm also of the mindset that we need to lower and control inflamation in the body.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You SO hit my nail on the head! Please pardon the rant that I'm about to write on your page... :)

    One of the most frustrating things that I hear about is "fad" dieting! It, literally, drives me nuts! Stop with that garbage! There is no "diet". There is no "Atkins" or "Weight Watchers". What there is is healthy living. Eat garbage; gain weight. Eat sensibly; loss weight. Throw in exercise and you have a plan that WORKS!

    The Atkins, South Beach, cabbage, and whatever else diets frustrate me, because only around 10% of people actually stick to them for the long haul. It's ridiculous. I hear people all the time who complain that since they went "off of" XYZ diet, they gained the weight back. DUH! That's so you come back, silly... There is money to be made with Weight Watchers & Adkins! I will be the first to admit that I tried WW, but really... it was only trying to teach me what was healthiest for my body based on calories, fiber, and fat. *insert calorie counting here* I decided to get serious. Now I count my calories like a fiend. I work out six days per week. I eat healthy. I never feel "deprived." I had to essentially retrain my brain, but it has been worth it watching the weight drop off. The best thing though? This is something I can stick with for the long haul. My family has adjusted to it, and I enjoy the healthier, lighter me.

    Now then, I'm stepping down from my soapbox! :) I am new to your blog, so I hope you don't mind. This fad diet argument has been weighing heavily on my mind as I'm watching friends struggle with them so much. I will feel even more sad when 90% of them are back at Point A in a few months... :(

    Sarah
    TheWeatheredWord.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. A large study over a year demonstrated that while low-carb dieters lost weight more rapidly initially, the general calorie dieters caught up with them after six weeks. At the end of the year, the low-carb people had lost more weight--about 1.5 pounds, not enough to count when it's 0.05% of your total weight. (I'm exaggerating, but the percentage is extremely low.)

    No one diet works for everyone. My cholesterol jumped on the old Atkins diet, although my very low triglycerides stayed the same. I can tolerate carbs very well--some people can't. It all depends on your own biology. A well-rounded, low-cal diet with portion control works for me. I believe you should use what works.

    BTW, no matter the eating plan, most of the people who didn't drop out of the study regained the weight over the next two years. I hope everyone is able to maintain once they reach goal weight.

    ReplyDelete