Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Saturday, March 12, 2011

Thin People Don't

I read every diet I can get my hands on. I even follow their suggestions. But eventually, inevitably, I always get fat again. Now, at last, I've found The Answer. After living for almost 14 years with a man who never gains an ounce no matter what I serve him, I've found out what it is that keeps him thin: He thinks differently. The real difference between fat and thin people is that thin people:

avoid eating popcorn in the movies because it gets their hands greasy;

split a large combination pizza with three friends;

think Oreo cookies are for kids;

nibble cashews one at a time;

think that doughnuts are indigestible;

read books they have to hold with both hands;

become so absorbed in a weekend project they forget to have lunch;

fill the candy dish on their desks with paper clips;

counteract the midafternoon slump with a nap instead of a cinnamon Danish;

exchange the deep-fryer they received for Christmas for a clock-radio;

lose their appetites when they're depressed;

think chocolate Easter bunnies are for kids;

save leftovers that are too skimpy to use for another meal in order to make interesting soups;

throw out stale potato chips;

will eat only Swiss or Dutch chocolate, which cannot be found except in a special store;

think it's too much trouble to stop at a special store just to buy chocolate;

don't celebrate with a hot-fudge sundae every time they lose a pound;

warm up after skiing with black coffee instead of hot chocolate and whipped cream;

try all the salads at the buffet, leaving room for only one dessert;

find iced tea more refreshing than an ice-cream soda;

get into such interesting conversations at cocktail parties that they never quite work their way over to the hors-d'oeuvre table;

have no compulsion to keep the candy dish symmetrical by reducing the jelly beans to an equal number of each color;

think that topping brownies with ice cream makes too rich a dessert;

bring four cookies into the TV room instead of a box;

think banana splits are for kids.


By Barbara Florio Graham
From McCall's, June, 1983


Do you know a naturally skinny person who has never had to lose weight? Have you ever watched that person eat or noticed their activity level? Would you share? If I get enough responses I will combine them into one big list for everyone to think about.

6 comments:

  1. I've noticed that thin people don't drink Diet Coke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband has always been fit but eats whatever he wants (and has quite a sweet tooth). The difference between him and I is that he is ALWAYS up at 5am to have his morning yoga workout and if he feels he's added a pound or two, he just lays off the extra food which is something I've found astonishing. (How could he leave all that wonderful ice cream behind?)

    Colleen
    Goodbye, Fat Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband never gains weight other. He also leaves food on his plate when he is full. Last night we baked cookies for him (don't worry, I didn't touch them) and he put four of cookies on a plate to eat, but he left two.

    He also takes a week to eat a bar of chocolate. He likes the tasts of food, but he knows when he is full and doesn't push past that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I enjoyed your post from today.

    My dad is thin and has always been. When I was younger I adopted his obsession about weight and I was super thin. It went something like this:

    Only eat when really hungry.

    Never eat until too full, stop before you start feeling it.

    Sweets are an after dinner food but only if you didn't eat a lot of dinner.

    Always stay active and when you feel your blood sugar dropping, then eat as little as you can to make it right again.

    Obviously, I wasn't very healthy back then. But there are some good things to be gleaned from all that, just not the extreme...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm married to a thin small guy. He never gains weight. As in past a certain point, no matter what he eats. He loses weight and then it will find it's way back. He doesn't fit the above description you list. He is active, if he gets paid. So the weekends... not so much. He eats all sorts of sugar and junk. If you and I ate like he did we would easily weigh 500lbs. Haha... maybe someday it will catch up to him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found the list amusing. I copied it and kept the things that describe me. However I'm a fatty...haha.

    avoid eating popcorn in the movies because it gets their hands greasy
    split a large combination pizza with three friends
    think Oreo cookies are for kids
    most doughnuts are yucky with the exception of a few I don't eat them much
    read books they have to hold with both hands
    become so absorbed in a weekend project they forget to have lunch
    fill the candy dish on their desks with hard candy and take weeks to finish
    think chocolate Easter bunnies are for kids
    save leftovers that are too skimpy to use for another meal in order to combine into weird combos for lunch
    throw out stale potato chips - feed them to the dog
    don't celebrate with a hot-fudge sundae every time they lose a pound
    warm up after skiing with black coffee instead of hot chocolate and whipped cream
    find iced tea more refreshing than an ice-cream soda
    usually the last one to the hors-d'oeuvre table
    think that topping brownies with ice cream makes too rich a dessert
    bring four cookies into the TV room instead of a box
    think banana splits are for kids

    ReplyDelete