Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Scars

We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived.
- From Little Bee

Got some battle scars? Is that survival instinct still there? In a few days I have a post on journaling in which you can liken each day to a battle - it is - and we know the enemy. That enemy has left bruises and scars. Do we keep coming back for more? If you think you might want to journal, get a pretty one. My post suggests using different ink colors - a color for each kind of day or emotion. If you really want to get into it, a scrapbook where you can express yourself through art might help you stay in touch. You could put each day's food consumption there, if you exercised or not, how you felt, things that happened, etc.

Now - a word about exercising. In Gary Taubes' book, Why We Get Fat and What to do About It - he asks if you wanted to tell a person how to get very hungry, what would you tell that person? Answer:  eat less, exercise. Many of us exercise; some don't. I have some information for you. Let's say that an hour of aerobics burns 350 calories, for example. That is not the effective calorie burn. You would have been burning calories anyway. I was kind of bummed when I read that but it does make sense. Exercise is good for endurance, muscle strength, and it does burn some calories but we can make the mistake of giving it too much credit. I think for dieters the biggest plus is the increase in our BMR (basal metabolic rate). The more muscle on your body, the more calories will be burned just sitting still. (I like that part) I also read an article that if we had to choose between aerobics and weight lifting - weight lifting is the best for us.

So - let's limit our scars and bruises. If we fight using all our resources, we will win the battles and that inner demon can look like he/she had been dragged through a keyhole.

Some encouragement:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1369901/How-My-Name-Is-Earl-star-Ethan-Suplee-lost-incredible-200lbs.html

4 comments:

  1. Saw your comment on Bizzy Eats about gluttony as a sin and God helped you lose the weight! AMEN! So proud of you and happy for you. It is refreshing to see other christian's our there witnessing thru their comments and blogs let alone their everyday life. I have never struggled with weight but I know it is hard and you should be so proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband has a lot of scars from accidents, and I have my share, too. He always reminds me that you've earned them. Yes, just as you write--we were in battle, survived, and have the scars to show for it. He thinks of them as gifts, reminders of our strength. So I think what you wrote is right on target, and I hope that people understand it and live by it.

    Yes, I've read a lot of places that muscle raises your BMR. That would account for his saying that weight training should be emphasized over aerobics. I disagree, but am glad to see he puts a good emphasis on it. Most writers don't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are good. Aerobics sometimes doesn't do much for the upper body. The exercise routines by "The Firm" are aerobic while using weights. They are the best in my opinion. I also like them because it doesn't take a 1/2 acre to do the routine. (maybe a little exaggerated).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the quote from Little Bee! Great post, Myra!

    ReplyDelete