Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Political Again

Dear Mr. President:

During my shift in the Emergency Room last night, I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient whose smile revealed an expensive, shiny gold tooth, whose body was adorned with a wide assortment of elaborate and costly tattoos, who wore a very expensive brand of tennis shoes and who chatted on a new cellular telephone equipped with a popular R&B ringtone. While glancing over her patient chart, I happened to notice that her payer status was listed as "Medicaid"! During my examination of her, the patient informed me that she smokes more than one costly pack of cigarettes every day and somehow still has money to buy pretzels and beer.


And you and our Congress expect me to pay for this woman's health care? I contend that our nation's "health care crisis" is not the result of a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. Rather, it is the result of a "crisis of culture", a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on luxuries and vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance.
 

It is a culture based on the irresponsible credo that "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me".
 

Once you fix this "culture crisis" that rewards irresponsibility and dependency, you'll be amazed at how quickly our nation's health care difficulties will disappear.
 

Respectfully,
 

STARNER JONES, MD

Remember my statement in an earlier post that discipline in school will translate to discipline in life? I do not want to demonize all who are on Medicaid - there are those who deserve and need the help. The problem is almost too big to tackle at this point. Our government has created dependency and an entitlement mentality through subsidizing those who could support themselves if they had been disciplined in school (and at home). So many of these people do not even have a high school diploma. Why couldn't one of the conditions for continued welfare, food stamps, etc., be that those who don't have a high school diploma earn one within two years?  It will take a good 12 years to make a big difference because we must start early but I also think we could make a difference immediately because many students are "on the fence". Parents can make a difference by being an active participant at school. It doesn't have to just be parents. It can be all of us. It will take people who really want to do something to run for the school board and local political offices. 


This is a real dilemma for me. If I were a doctor and some illegal came to the emergency room desperate to get her sick child treated, I couldn't deny to treat the sick child. We talk tough but could we send away someone who was here illegally but was terribly ill? I know many go to the emergency room because they have no doctor and no medical insurance because they know they will receive treatment on the taxpayer's dime.


I really think border security must be immediately implemented and do it with an attitude. We must secure the borders first then make illegals return to Mexico and give them the information they need to legally become a U.S. citizen. Those who were born here but their parents are illegals must also return. That law was written when there was slavery so that children of slaves could be legal in America. Being born in America is not enough to be a citizen. The parents must be citizens. There will be some heartbreaking stories and there would be press conferences with the sad situations but we must do this. We cannot wait until everything is perfect and nobody's feelings are hurt.


What does this have to do with our weight struggles? Absolutely nothing. It just burns my cookies that we are in such a mess.



2 comments:

  1. Sorry for this, but I come from a country where every citizen - regardless of wealth - has the right to free medical attention. It is a great system.

    And yes, I pay high taxes. It also means I could be paying for the surgery of billionaires. And that is ok. Because it also means that refugees and people on welfare payments also get free health care.

    I may not smoke, but I do abuse my body with food. I don't feel that I have any right to judge those who smoke, or abuse alcohol, or take illicit drugs, since I abuse my body too - with food.

    Obesity is the biggest threat to the health of us all now - overtaking the health risks of smoking, drugs and alcohol.

    Something to think about. Because obesity doesn't just affect those on welfare.

    ReplyDelete