Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Measuring Success

There are times when a man should be content with what he has but never with what he is.
       
- William George Jordan

If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.
       - Anonymous


Never, never, never, never give up - Winston Churchill


Has the new worn off yet? Getting bored with being on track and making progress? Weight loss has slowed down so it's just too much work to bother with this and lose 1/2 pound in a week (or none at all). Since we are guilty of using the scale as our only measure of success, it can all seem a useless undertaking. Remember we are changing our lifestyle so this is how we live now. Would it bother you not to weigh for a month? Hmmmm - some who have made a lifestyle change would not care. Those who use the scale as their measure of success would stress and without that number to go by we won't know what to do. We won't know whether to be happy or sad.
Our whole day can revolve around the weight shown on the scale and our interpretation of what to do based on that. That's why it is so important to get good news at the scale - every time - without fail - regardless - see how we set ourselves up for negativity? I remember at Weight Watchers that if it was a small loss, or no loss at all, I would be all disappointed and be thinking that it would be another whole week before I would be able to get that reinforcement that I felt I needed to continue. I needed to know if I could overeat. I needed to know if I was happy or not.


What other measures of success are there? The tape measure can give you inches lost. We can try on something each week that is too tight now and tell if we are making progress. I remember the first time I realized my legs weren't rubbing together as I walked. Do you have more endurance when exercising? Let's try to have other measures of success besides the number on the scale.

4 comments:

  1. Myra, thanks for stopping by my blog.

    As for measuring success - I just had a complete meltdown over the scales, so I am not doing goals where the measure is the number of kilograms lost any more.

    I have taken up a fitness goal - to run a 10km fun run in early July. So, I am training for that now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, the lovely scale. Great post. You sum up the scale very well. The scale is not the be all ... end all, but why am I finding it so tough to give up (even though I know and believe all of this)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiona - I have gone through phases where I didn't weigh myself. It was counterproductive. After a while, though, I have found that I needed to know what I weigh - go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darla - You know, do what you gotta do. I am the same way. That number can be such a reinforcement yet there have been times when I just couldn't look at it.

    ReplyDelete