Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Monday, March 21, 2011

Fads

How many of these claims do you think we have fallen for?

http://www.post-sentinel.com/

Some nutritionists define a fad diet by a series of questions rather than assessing popularity:
  • Recommendations that promise a quick fix
  • Dire warnings of dangers from a single product or regimen
  • Claims that sound too good to be true
  • Simplistic conclusions drawn from a complex study
  • Recommendations based on a single study
  • Dramatic statements that are refuted by reputable scientific organizations
  • Lists of "good" and "bad" foods
  • Recommendations made to help sell a product
  • Recommendations based on studies published without review by other researchers
  • Recommendations from studies that ignore differences among individuals or groups
  • Eliminated one or more of the five food groups  ( from everydiet.org)
Often in fad diets something is unlimited. That makes compulsive overeaters perk right up. We think "I can eat all I want and lose weight?" I won't be hungry? The reality of it is that we are going to have to experience hunger to lose weight.

http://www.faddiet.com/

There is no shortcut. There is no magic. There is only us and our determination. Knowing what to do and doing what we know. Being hungry can be very threatening. It can make us feel anxious and feel panic. I often wonder why it upsets me so to have my stomach be truly empty and growl. I have heard that we can only live three days without water - there would of course be some variables here - how hot or cold the environment is and our own body's ability to adapt and how much fluid was stored in the tissues. We can go for quite some time without food. That would also depend on how much fat was stored on our bodies - I figure I could go until the turn of the century or so.

The water thing reminds me - did you know that in order to fix water retention we need to drink water?  If we aren't drinking enough water, our bodies will try to hold on to the water they do get.  When we start drinking enough water, the body doesn't have to hold on to the fluid anymore. Have you noticed that you are more thirsty for water when you start getting that 8 - 10 glasses per day? That's because your body isn't retaining it and needs replenished.

It has always angered me the millions of dollars savvy people have made from obese people who are desperate to lose weight. The pills, exercise machines, diets, books, and so much more. We have been the victims of these people and have made them rich. There is always an infomercial on the latest, greatest, most effective, super-dooper product.

What are some of the things that have separated you from your money in your quest to lose weight?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the prey on the desperate, don't they? I've tried my share, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete