Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Elephant Joke

The best way to predict your future is to create it.
     
  - Anonymous


Question:  Do you know how to eat an elephant?


Answer:  One bite at a time.


Have you ever divided a large task into manageable segments? I remember when mowing our yard with a push mower in my younger days I would mow around a section of the yard and then mow that. I would then mow off another section and mow that and so on until the yard was mowed. I could have mowed around the entire outer edge of the yard and kept on that way but doing it in smaller segments seemed so much better because I was finishing the job bit by bit. There were small accomplishments along the way to the big goal.


I used to tell my students when they told me that they had to read a book for English to take the total number of pages and divide by the days they had to finish the book. If they read that many pages a day, they would be done and would not be scrambling at the end to get it done.


I remember a pair of slacks I was working on that got put down and not finished. I didn't have much sewing to do on them but couldn't seem to get back to them. I set the timer on the stove for 20 minutes. The deal with myself was to work on them for 20 minutes a day until they were completed so I could wear them. To my surprise when the timer on the stove went off I just continued and got them done. I've thought about doing this with housework - the operative word here is "thought".


I am focusing on 10 lbs. at a time. I have made a graph with my starting weight and going down the left side in 1/2 lb. bits until 10 lbs. have been reached. Along the bottom I have the dates of Thursdays and Mondays - the days I am weighing myself. There was enough room for 7 weeks of weighing. If I reach 10 lbs. before that then I will start a new sheet. I am not thinking of the total I want to lose or how long it will take to get there. I am dividing up my losses into 10 lb. segments - that's all I care about. I will do this one bite at a time. Does anyone know how to cook an elephant?


Perhaps this would work for you as well.


Another elephant joke:


Question:  What did Tarzan say when he saw the elephants coming over the hill?


Answer:  Here come the elephants.


Question:  What did Tarzan say when he saw the elephants coming over the hill wearing sunglasses?


Answer:  Nothing. He didn't recognize them.








Question:  What's gray and crawls?


Answer:  An elephant playing combat. 


I crack myself up.   :-)




All the best - Myra

6 comments:

  1. Hi there! Thanks for your comments on my blog and for sharing your blog with me. Best of luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL on the jokes. You're right, that's a good idea breaking things down into smaller tasks - especially for me as I have a lot to lose. Please, please make your font bigger. I'm almost 50.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rejecting 300 - Thank you for visiting and the comments. Hope to see you again soon.

    Darla - That durn font just appeared. I don't think I did anything but I will investigate and see what I can do. I am older than you are so we could both use a smaller font. I always look forward to your visits and comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darla - what am I saying?? I mean a larger font for crying out loud.

    Question: Do you know what you get when you mix an elephant with peanut butter?

    Answer: An elephant that sticks to the roof of your mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LMAO!
    I am with you - I'm doing this 10 pounds at a time. The whole shebang is just too daunting to think about all at once, but I can handle thinking of it in 10 pound increments!

    Can't wait to read more!

    Colleen
    Goodbye, Fat Girl!
    Fun Beyond Driven Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colleen - welcome. I just started blogging for grins but have been pleasantly surprised by the number of people out there who are eager to be a part of each other's lives and struggles. It's perfect for me because I think everyone has a right to my opinion. There is quite a bit here so I suggest that you read other entries that sound interesting. I really don't have a diary format like many do. I was a teacher for 33 years so I can't seem to break the "today's lesson is" theme.

    ReplyDelete