Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Richest Man in the Valley

The Richest Man In The Valley
A rich landowner named Carl often rode around his vast estate so he could congratulate himself on his great wealth. One day while riding around his estate on his favorite horse, he saw Hans, an old tenant farmer. Hans was sitting under a tree when Carl rode by.

Hans said, 'I was just thanking God for my food.'

Carl protested, 'If that is all I had to eat, I wouldn't feel like giving thanks.'

Hans replied, 'God has given me everything I need, and I am thankful for it.'

The old farmer added, 'It is strange you should come by today because I had a dream last night. In my dream a voice told me, 'The richest man in the valley will die tonight.' I don't know what it means, but I thought I ought to tell you.'

Carl snorted, 'Dreams are nonsense,' and galloped away, but he could not forget Hans' words: 'The richest man in the valley will die tonight.' He was obviously the richest man in the valley, so he invited his doctor to his house that evening. Carl told the doctor what Hans had said. After a thorough examination, the doctor told the wealthy landowner, 'Carl, you are as strong and healthy as a horse. There is no way you are going to die tonight.'

Nevertheless, for assurance, the doctor stayed with Carl, and they played cards through the night. The doctor left the next morning and Carl apologized for becoming so upset over the old man's dream. At about nine o'clock, a messenger arrived at Carl's door.

'What is it?' Carl demanded.

The messenger explained, 'It's about old Hans. He died last night in his sleep.'


Author Unknown
This was on my sister's blog. I thought we could contemplate its meaning in our lives. "He is rich enough who wants nothing". Have you ever looked in your cupboards? How much food would you say gets bad and you throw it away each year? How could that money be put to better use? How much money is spent on empty calories? If the cupboards are full of junk and you have a family this could be a battle and would have to be a gradual thing that wasn't noticed too much. You could have a meeting and try to get everyone's support or you could sneak up on them and do this gradually. I have heard the argument that all this fresh fruit, vegetables, etc., are expensive. How expensive is it to be sick? What is the cost of obesity? If we didn't buy that case of pop, those chips, cookies, etc., how much would that save? Keep your receipt from the grocery and take notice of the items that could be left at the store. Make a list and stick to it. Most of us probably drive by a grocery each day and could just get enough for that day. I know a woman who plans her meals for a week and then plans her grocery trip from that. People like that just floor me. Myra won't be doing that but I think I could plan for one day the night before and just get that or make a list and have someone else get it perhaps. If the husband or kids want the junk tell them it would help if you didn't have to pick up that stuff and they can get what they want and keep it somewhere other than the kitchen. To keep me out of it, locked in the trunk and protected with a log chain might work.
I read an article about a woman who decided she was not going to the grocery until her cupboards were cleared out - it was months before she needed that big shopping trip. What if we did that? It is the woman who does most of the shopping. What if you just had someone else pick up what was needed to round out a meal and used up what you already had?  It might be interesting.
Let's be like the richest man in the valley. Thankful. Rely on God. To worry, fret, and be anxious is a sin because we are not trusting God. Have you prayed yet today? Pray before you pick up the paper or turn on the TV and all that stuff floods your mind with the cares and problems of this world.


No comments:

Post a Comment