Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Saturday, December 4, 2010

Diets Don't Work

How many diet plans have we tried in our lives? Remember the grapefruit diet, Atkins, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutri-System, Medi-Fast. The appeal of many diets is that something is unlimited which makes us gluttons perk right up. I can eat (whatever) as much and as often as I want? Sign me up!!! We fall for each new gimmick, pill, machine, supplement, plan, book, etc. When will we ever learn that diets don't work and treating the situation like a cold and we lose the weight and think now I'm over it and can go back to what I was doing before? It is not for lack of information that we suffer. Naturally thin people don't know how many calories are in a cheeseburger and they don't care. They don't know how many calories they burn if they walk for an hour. We know all the stats about food and if we could just get the food to obey we would be fine - rice cakes, artificial sweeteners, fat-free, sugar-free, high fiber, and the list goes on. We feel all virtuous if we work out and use it to justify a bag of chips or all the cookies. The only time I have eaten one cookie is if it was the last one. We have to determine what food and eating does for us and why we choose that over what we truly want. We look with envy at people in nice clothes that look good on them and then we choose to overeat instead of doing what they do. If they miss a meal it's no big deal. Have you ever eaten so you wouldn't get hungry? "We better eat now because we may not be near food when we get hungry." It's almost funny thinking about it but we keep doing it. Remember I am willing to lead a Weigh Down group if any are interested. We need 3 people plus me. You might want to go to their web site and call them to get current prices on class materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment