Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, December 10, 2010

Wait for the Growl

I told God this morning that I was going to wait for a growl each time I ate today. It is now after 1 p.m.

This is the most dangerous time for me because I do feel empty, stomach has a tight feeling. I am all alert for that growl because I am back in my quilting room and will probably tear out hunks of carpet getting to the kitchen when my stomach growls. I hope I don't knock over my $800 sewing machine when this occurs.

So I sit and ask myself, "What am I afraid of here?"  "Why am I anxious about it?" If I didn't eat until tomorrow what is the worst thing that could happen? I tend to be the kind of person who wants to just go ahead and get things done and over with (except cleaning house of course). I know I haven't eaten since last night. I know that I am empty so just go ahead and eat so that the way is clear to patch the carpet and set the sewing machine upright.

The problem is that if I don't wait until the growl which is obvious and not open to interpretation, I start eating over any little feeling of emptiness, then it's hard to stop because I wasn't totally empty when I started. It's hard to determine where full is if I wasn't truly hungry when I started eating. I also must be careful not to really load up because then it will seem like forever until my stomach growls again. I have a small plate that I use so that it looks pretty full. I have trouble stopping. Whatever is on my plate I want to finish so it works better for me if I put less on my plate and eat all of it. Stopping at the first sign of satiation is something that is going to be very hard for me to master. Gwen Shamblin says she can quit in the middle of a candy bar and have no desire for the second half. I think she is lying  :-). Have you ever been driving while eating a sandwich you just bought at the drive-through and realize you have some of the paper wrapping in your mouth? That just came to me - has nothing to do with the point I was making.

What is really great about this plan is that you eat what you want. As long as you have waited for the growl, you can have pizza, lasagna, whatever - even dessert. If you overeat, don't beat yourself up - just wait for the growl before eating again.

No comments:

Post a Comment