Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, November 19, 2010

Information

It's kind of late - 9 p.m. and I am just now getting to this. It's nice to be looking forward to a couple of days off. Next week is my last week of full-time and I am looking forward to getting back to my quilt club and beginning some exercising. I plan to do some yoga in the morning and then something with weights and aerobics later in the day.  "The Firm" has excellent videos that combine weights with aerobics. Building muscle will raise the basal metabolic rate and you will burn calories faster even when sitting still. Each pound of muscle on your body burns 10 calories per day to maintain itself, each pound of fat burns 2 - 3 calories per day.

Yo-Yo dieting can be a killer of your basal metabolic rate. When we lose weight too quickly our bodies will use some of our muscle tissue. So by dieting too hard, we can lose muscle thereby lowering our muscle mass. THEN when we go berserk because we have starved ourselves and gain the weight back plus some we gain back all fat so now our body composition is more fat than it was. If this cycle is repeated very many times you can see why it becomes more difficult to lose. Our basal metabolic rate is now lower.

And here is another real downer - when we hear a number like an hour of walking burns 350 calories - we think yeah how great am I? We would have burned calories anyway during that hour so the net calorie burn will not be 350 for that hour. So why do it?  It tones us up. It will increase our basal metabolic rate. We have done something besides sitting around. We sleep better. We have more energy. We have strengthened our heart and lungs (they are muscles too).

This is also why we shouldn't weigh I believe. We can tell if our clothes are looser. I know if I get on the scales and I have lost, I think wow I can eat. If I get on the scales and I have lost, I think what's the use I might as well eat. Either way the cue is to eat. We just need to change our lifestyle. My mother stays at a healthy weight. She doesn't eat after 6 p.m. She eats what she wants but eats slowly. She eats small amounts.

As I told you I ate out with my Inspirer. Get this. She said she just had a salad for lunch and was really ready to eat so she orders the meat loaf dinner. It arrives and she says it's too much. She takes about half of it home. I might ever. I remember while I was still teaching one of the natural slims was saying how little time we had for lunch and she didn't have time to eat all of the lunch she brought. I would watch the clock and eat faster if that was my situation. Remember your Inspirer is your teacher. I did take half of my sandwich home.

Remember - wait for the growl, eat what you want and what sounds good, stop when comfortably full. Don't eat again until the growl. Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment